Tuesday 24 November 2009

St. Zacchaeus of Jericho

An open letter to Pope Benedict XVI

Most Holy Father Pope Benedict,

How are you. I Hope you are well.

I am just wondering, will it be okay with you to canonize Zachaeus of Jericho? I just thought that it will be a very good idea to make him a saint and offer to Filipino politicians as their patron saint.

With St. Zacchaeus as their patron saint, every time they meet, e.g. senate or congressional meetings, they can conclude the invocational prayer with St. Zacchaeus, pray for us.

And everytime they celebrate mass, the gospel narrating St. Zacchaeus story will be read before them.

They can also hang a poster of St. Zacchaeus in all government offices to serve as constant reminder of the virtue of giving back to people their ill-gotten wealth.

With St. Zacchaeus as their (Filipino politicians) main source of inspiration, graft and corruption in the Philippines will come to an end. (Bingo!)

Just imagine, Your Holiness Pope Benedict, if all corrupt Filipino politicians and government employees will say:

"Look, Your Holiness Pope Benedict! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

Not only graft and corruption but also poverty in the Philippines will be never be hard of again.

I've got a funny feeling that St. Zacchaeus inspiration will be 4x more effective to corrupt Filipino government officials who are short in stature.

Looking forward for your kind approval to this request.

Best regards and God bless,

Marblaze(Christian Blog for Everyone)

Support My Sponsor Code Of Ethics

Luke 19:2-10 (New International Version)

2A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3He wanted to see who Jesus was, but being a short man he could not, because of the crowd. 4So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.

5When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today." 6So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

7All the people saw this and began to mutter, "He has gone to be the guest of a 'sinner.' "

8But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

9Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

No comments:

Post a Comment