Wednesday 12 March 2008

The Daily Gospel

AH, A and H, add this in your name, somewhere in the middle and see whether you can be a father of a new nation.

ariahel. just wondering, if I change my name to this, will I become a father of a great nation.

Esau
Edom

This name appears to belong to one person. The twin brother of Jacob, the grand son of Abraham and the son of Isaac.

He was cheated by Jacob, actually by Jacob's mother.

He was a true Christian by heart for he forgave Jacob despite of the scam.

Why were the Israelites hostile to the Edomites. Were not Edomites descendants of Abraham and therefore they are part of the chosen people, part of a great nation.

Why did the Exodusists avoided the Edomites.

Jacob became Israel
Esau became Edom

Abram became Abram

Why did Isaac remained as such?

DAILY GOSPEL

«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68


Thursday, 13 March 2008

Thursday of the Fifth week of Lent


Today the Church celebrates : St Euphrasia

See commentary below or click here
Saint Cyril of Jerusalem : "Are you greater than our father Abraham?"


Book of Genesis 17,3-9.

When Abram prostrated himself, God continued to speak to him: "My covenant with you is this: you are to become the father of a host of nations. No longer shall you be called Abram; your name shall be Abraham, for I am making you the father of a host of nations. I will render you exceedingly fertile; I will make nations of you; kings shall stem from you. I will maintain my covenant with you and your descendants after you throughout the ages as an everlasting pact, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. I will give to you and to your descendants after you the land in which you are now staying, the whole land of Canaan, as a permanent possession; and I will be their God." God also said to Abraham: "On your part, you and your descendants after you must keep my covenant throughout the ages.


Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 8,51-59.

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death." (So) the Jews said to him, "Now we are sure that you are possessed. Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, 'Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.' Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? Or the prophets, who died? Who do you make yourself out to be?" Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, 'He is our God.' You do not know him, but I know him. And if I should say that I do not know him, I would be like you a liar. But I do know him and I keep his word. Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad. So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM." So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.


Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB



Commentary of the day :

Saint Cyril of Jerusalem (313-350), Bishop of Jerusalem and Doctor of the Church
Baptismal catecheses, no.5

"Are you greater than our father Abraham?"


One might say a great deal about faith. It is enough to cast a glance at Abraham, one of the models given us by the Old Testament, since we are his children by faith. This man was not justified by his works alone but also by faith. He had done many good deeds but he was only called a friend of God when he had given proof of his faith. All his works drew their perfection from his faith. It was by faith that he left his family; it was by faith that he left his homeland, his country and his house. In the same way as he was made righteous, become righteous yourselves! Later on his body became incapable of fatherhood since he had become extremely old. Sara, to whom he had been united, was also old. And so they had no hope at all of a posterity. God, however, announced to this old man that he would become a father, and Abraham's faith did not flinch. Considering that his body was already very close to death, he did not take his physical weakness into account, nonetheless, but the strength of the One who made the promise, since he judged him who had made this promise to be worthy of faith. Thus it was that, from two bodies already marked, so to speak, by death, a child was marvellously born...

It is Abraham's example of faith that makes children of Abraham out of us all. How? People find resurrection from the dead just as unbelievable as that old men, already marked by death, should father their posterity. But when someone proclaims the good news of Christ to us, crucified on the tree, dead and brought back to life again, then we believe it. Thus it is through imitating his faith that we enter into the descendance of Abraham. And so, like him, we receive with faith the spiritual seal, circumcised like him in baptism by the Holy Spirit.







Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE


----------------------------------------
The DGO is sent every day to more than 280.000 subscribers !
Do you want to help us maintain this free service? The Daily Gospel is free of charge, but it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope RD, New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment